Referrals and Resources
Help ensure that you are developing and there is margin in your self care.
Crisis Pastoral Care
Chaplaincy Australia – The WA Chaplaincy team have specialised training and professional skill in this area to assist Pastors with times of trauma or crisis within their church or community (such as suicide, tragic death, domestic and family violence, extreme grief, mass grief, debriefing Pastoral team, disaster response). Call 1800Chaplain (1800 24 27 52).
Helpful links to referral options for people with a variety of needs for community assistance:
- Marriagehelper.com – lots of information around marriages
- 1800 Chaplain – available for anyone to anonymously speak to a trained professional Chaplain
- Ask Izzy – online tool to help find referral community services for people specific to age, suburb, need etc.
- Infoxchange Service Provider– similar to Ask Izzy, however map based
- Lifeline – 131 114
- Kids Help Line – 1800 551 800
- Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636
Resources for the training and equipping of Pastors and their teams in Mental Health:
- Mental Health First Aid Courses– run by Chaplaincy Australia in WA annually to train and equip Pastors & Leaders to know the signs of Mental Health and how to assist.
- Mental Health Academy– online courses which can assist in training in Mental Health. Predominantly for Mental Health professionals, but can be used for teams to develop specific skills in areas of need.
- MERHL – WA Mental Health Emergency Response Line – for 24-hour mental health care assistance – 1300 555 788 (Metro) or 1800 676 822 (Peel)
Government Sites that are helpful for people to determine their Mental Health needs:
- Head to Health
- Headspace– Youth Mental Health Services
To help people to get access to Medicare rebated Mental Health Services: Better Access Initiative – book a double appointment with their GP to conduct a mental health assessment which enables them to access this initiative.
Chaplaincy Australia can offer courses in this for your Pastoral Team which is very practical and presented to current industry standards with relevant examples and exercises to help your team be ready to assist in these hard conversations. Other assistance can be found at:
- Gatekeeper Suicide Prevention Training – WA Government training in suicide prevention
- ASIST – Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training – for caregivers in the prevention of suicide